DC at Night

DC at Night

Monday, July 4, 2011

Oh Say Can You See


Several times during my 59-year South Jersey stay, I would skip the crowds and watch the July 4th fireworks from my front yard since all 3 houses I lived in since I was 12 were near the Bridgeton  Park where the city held its annual show.

Well, even though Judy and I had just moved to Crystal City, which is only 3 Metro stops away from The National Mall known for its July 4th fireworks display, we decided to avoid the massive crowds, skip the Capitol 4th show, and watch the festivities on PBS from the comfort of our living room.

However, as soon as Little Richard and the cast of the Broadway musical Million Dollar Quartet concluded their rock and roll show with their last notes and we heard the first of the fireworks explode, our reclusive resolve melted. "C'mon," my wife urged. "If we get outside, I bet we can see them." And so we rushed out onto Route 1, and, sure enough, a few blocks from our complex we found a tree break with a great unobstructed view of the show.

However, I don't think the 100,000+ jamming the Mall, or the thousands at roof top parties throughout the DC district, or Judy and I in our private spot had the neatest view.  Several times planes taking off from Reagan airport flew directly over The Washington Monument and I can only imagine how cool if must have been for those passengers to see the DC sky literally light up again and again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts