DC at Night

DC at Night

Friday, August 26, 2011

Remembering MLK at the JFK Center: A Magical Music Night to Remember

I attended my 1st major rock concert in 1966 with a triple-bill of The Blues Magoos, The Who, and Herman's Hermits (???).  Since then I have enjoyed too many concerts to even begin to keep track of including double-digit shows from The Rolling Stones and Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. I've been to multi-band, multi-day extravaganzas like 1969's Atlantic City Pop, the 1970s Canadian Woodstock Strawberry Fields, the 2009 Bonaroo Festival and this summer's Dave Matthews Caravan in Atlantic City. But I would have to rate tonight's Martin Luther King Memorial Dedication performance at The Kennedy Center in the top tier of my extensive shows-I've-seen list.

Now while this was the 1st show I had ever attended at the main concert hall in The Kennedy Center and I was well aware of its impeccable acoustics, I don't think it was auditorium sound quality that drove the show up near the top of my listening charts (although obviously it didn't hurt). It was the incredible, and I do mean incredible, talent on display from these 3 virtual unknowns to most of the rock world.

First up was the soul-stirring, hand-clapping, foot-stomping gospel sounds of Maggie Ingram and the Ingramettes.  Sister Maggie, at 81, gives a whole new meaning to the word spry and I am sure that she and her family singers could elicit at least one "Praise Jesus" from The Devil himself.

 
Next was the NYC acapella group Naturally 7.  Now the term acapella does not do this group, who just finished a Mexican tour with Michael Buble, justice as somehow they use their voices to simulate the sounds of virtually ever instrument in the soul hip-hop word. I know it is a cliche, but this truly is one group you really do need to see to believe.  And even then, like a great magician, you may still not have a clue as to how they do what they do. Before this week, I had never heard of Naturally 7 and now they rank a solid number 2 on my new music should-be-more-popular-than-they-are list, right behind Grace Potter and the Nocturnals and far ahead of number 3 Fitz and the Tantrums.


Finally, French harmonica virtuoso Frederic Yonnet closed the show.  Now the harmonica is no stranger to modern music.  There's blues greats like Little Walter and Sonny Boy Williamson. There's Motown's Stevie Wonder.  And the harmonica played an essential part for 3 of the tops gods in the rock pantheon - Bob Dylan, John Lennon, and Mick Jagger.  But if there is a better harmonica player in all the universe than Yonnet I would love to hear him or her.  As one concert veteran muttered as he walked out of the show, "Stevie Wonder ... sheeeet ... that boy there (Yonnet), now that's the real deal."


Travelers' Tip:
If you attend a performance at The Kennedy Center, be sure to make some time to check out the many exhibits featuring the life and words of former President John F. Kennedy which are located throughout the venue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Popular Posts