DC at Night

DC at Night

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's (Again) Off to Work I Go

Dunbar High School Then ...
When I retired from 25 years of teaching last June and moved to the DC area, I really had no plans to ever seriously work again.  I considered myself fortunate; I had enjoyed 2 careers - newspapers and high school English teaching.  But despite 37 years of employment, my attitude about work had always best been reflected by (and I am really going to reveal my age here) Dobie Gillis' beatnik buddy Maynard G. Krebs, who whenever there was the merest mention of the word work would yelp "WORK? WORK?? WORK???"

However, when my former Johns Hopkins University Talent Development associate Paul Smith learned I was moving to Crystal City, he asked if I would be interested in rejoining him as a consultant to DC's Dunbar High School, once one of the most prestigious Black high schools in the country, which had seen itself leveled by problems associated with urban poverty and city living.

... and Dunbar High School Now
Looking at Paul's out-of-the-blue offer as some kind of sign from god, karma, kismet, fate, or any other controlling beliefs out there, I told him I would be interested if the conditions (read that #1 time and #2 money) were right, and so, after a summer of  negotiations, I found myself reporting to Dunbar today to begin yet another new school year.

Of course, this year will be much different than my 25-year stint at Bridgeton High School. While I will be a language arts/literacy coach (a position I held for 5 years at BHS) I will not be full-time.  In fact, the favorable time element was the main reason I accepted the job. I am expected to work 8/9 hours a week, but  I set my own schedule.  I can work one full day, or 2 4-hour sessions, or 3 3-hour visits, or 4 2-hour takes.  The choice is up to me and the task at hand. And I think even Maynard G. Krebs could dig that.

Travelers' Tip:
In traveling, or anything else in life, you can't ever say never.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Popular Posts