DC at Night

DC at Night

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Gazing on a Sunny Afternoon

The current Dunbar High School: Ground to be broken next week for a new building
Normally, when I finish my consulting day at Dunbar High School, I walk the scenic urban 6 blocks to the Washington Convention Center Metro Station, board the Yellow Line train, and head back to our Crystal City apartment.

But on this particular beautiful, warm November day (and all too aware that more such days won't be coming again until next Spring), I decided to extend my walk through DC.
DC's Chinatown Gate

So I strolled down 7th Street through the Mt. Vernon Square district that borders the massive convention center. Continuing on, I entered the Chinatown section, passing the ornate gate that symbolizes the area. Past the Verizon Center home of the Caps and the Wizards and the National Portrait Gallery.

Next up, Penn Quarter and a section of 7th Street that features 3 of my favorite DC restaurants, Jose Andres' Jaleo and Oyamel, and Hill Country Barbeque. (Side note here: It's not the best idea to walk past 3 of your favorite restaurants when you are really hungry).

Turning right, I walked through the fountains of the Navy Memorial and past the National Archives, the depository of America's founding documents such as the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. Crossing Constitution Avenue, I kept the car-crowded underpass for 395 on my left and headed for the National Mall, emerging directly across from the Hirschhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden.

In the middle of the Mall, I paused to take in what is one of my favorite views in all the world.  The Capitol Dome to my left; the towering Washington Monument to my right, surrounded by all the marvels housed in the Smithsonian Museums. As I watched, a plane on its way to a landing at Reagan National Airport continued its descent directly behind the Monument.

Pushing on past the National Carousel (which I first rode as a young child on a visit to DC with my parents), I headed down the escalator of the Smithsonian Metro Station to pick up the Blue Line train which would take me home to Crystal City.

My 2.5-mile walk took about 40 minutes. You know trains, and cars, and buses, and planes may be faster, but whenever possible I still think walking is the best means of transportation ever invented. And besides all the sites I encountered, my walk would allow me to enjoy a second helping of the mashed potatoes my wife had prepared for dinner.

Tales, Tidbits, and Traveling Tips:
When you visit DC (or any big city for that matter) park the car. Take public transit if you have to go far distances, but walk whenever you can.  That's the best (not to mention the cheapest) way to really take in the sights, sounds, and smells. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Popular Posts