DC at Night

DC at Night

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Talking Basketball and Art

Ball and Chain by Thomas Hank Willis
When Darrel Walker was growing up in the tough projects of  Chicago in the 1960s, he remembers that only 2 pieces of art adorned the walls  of his home - one picture of Martin Luther King and one of John F. Kennedy. "That is what Grandma Velma had in the house," the ex-NBA player and former head coach of both the Washington Wizards and the Toronto Raptors says.

Now, however, he has become a leading collector of African American art and today appeared at The National Gallery with his friend, former NBA player, and fellow art collector Elliot Perry to detail his journey from the inner city to professional basketball to the world of avid art collection.

Walker credits former New York Knicks star Bernard King (who he describes as the Godfather of  the small group of NBA players/art collectors) with leading him to discover his passion for art. "As a young player I just wanted to go to the clubs and hang out with my friends," Walker said. "But Bernard was persistent. He got me to start going to museums and galleries. He got me reading and studying about art."

Walker explained that the first 3 art pieces he purchased were one work each from noted African-American artists Robert Colescott, Jacob Lawrence, and Romare Bearden. Today, he has enough valued works in his personal collection to publish his own catalog.

Perry, who played with 4 different NBA teams in his career, credits Walker with turning him on to art.  The two first began discussing the subject during a long basketball trip to Japan put together in 1996 by NBA great Charles Barkley. "I didn't know anything about art," Perry said. "But Darrel became my coach and adviser. He would tell me what catalogs and books to check out."

He noted that the idea to become a real collector was solidified when he viewed the collection of Dr. Walter Evans in Little Rock. "A light came on in my head. That's what I want my collection to look like," Perry said.

Today, Perry says he finds 3 great values in his passion. Obviously, there is the joy of collecting and displaying the work. But he also enjoys supporting contemporary African-American artists and building personal relationships with them.  "Every artist that I collect now, I know personally," Elliot said.

Walker says he too cherishes personal contact with artists. For example, he was able to meet Lawrence, recognized as one of the giants in the art world, on 2 occasions. The first time was over martinis and Lawrence, according to Walker who was buying, had "a lot of martinis." By the time of their next meeting Lawrence, who died in 2000, was living in an assisted living home. "He was talking and I just wanted to see his room. Now Lawrence was a great collector of tools. There was not one piece of art on his walls. But there was this big table full of tools from the 30s, and 40s, and 50s, and 60s," Walker said.

Walker said that talking to an artist about his or her work helps you better understand the art. "They'll break it down for you," he said.

Perry said that while a lot of people seem intimidated by art, that shouldn't be the case. "With art, there is no firm conclusion. What is art? It is everything. What you like is good art. You should not be waiting for someone else to validate your opinion," he explained.

Walker credits his art collecting for expanding all his academic interests. "My wife says I wouldn't be on-line now trying to finish my (college) degree if I had been reading like I do now when I was first at the University of Arkansas."

He added that he considers collecting art "my 24-hour job now. Take everything away from me and leave me my art and I'm fine. I plan to leave my collection to my children. They have one rule - if something should happen to my wife and me at the same time I've told them - 'don't do anything. Call Elliot first. He'll tell you what to do about the art.'"

So what advise would Walker, so used to guiding young men on the basketball court, give to anyone interested in beginning a collection? "I know art is not for everyone. Do what you want to do. Read, educate yourself, visit museums. If you like to collect art, collect it. But it is enough to just enjoy the beauty that art provides," he said.

Perry, ever the loyal follower of his art coach, agreed, adding that encountering art can only change you for the better. "It is transformative as much as it is informative," he said.

Tales, Tips, and Tidbits
The idea of 2 black athletes collecting art and talking knowledgeably and passionately about the subject certainly doesn't fit the stereotype many hold of professional basketball players. Dr. Michael Harris, a professor, curator, collector, and artist himself, moderated today's well-attended discussion in the auditorium of the East Gallery and got both Walker and Perry talking about that very subject. Dr. Harris began by jokingly noting that  if he had been a better baseball player, people "might not think I'm smart." Walker acknowledged that the image of the modern athlete is big money, expensive drugs, and fancy cars. "But every athlete is not like that," Walker said. "Many athletes have some insight. My Bentley's are up on my walls."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts