DC at Night

DC at Night

Monday, June 25, 2012

The Art of Video Games

Visitors tour the video game exhibit
When it comes to video games, my knowledge is virtually nil. A couple of games of Pong with my young son in the early 70s. A few dozen games of  Spider Monkey on my iPhone and iPad this year with my 3-year-old grandson. And that's it. No Atari, Nintendo, Play Station 3, X -Box, or Wii.

So when I learned that the Smithsonian American Art Museum was going to feature a first-of-its-kind exhibit The Art of Video Games, I figured I had better turn to an expert. I called my friend Jim Boner, the director of the Bridgeton (NJ) school system's audio visual programs and inveterate gamer for 25 years, and invited him and his 5-year-old daughter Jells, who is also a budding gamer, to spend some time with us here in DC. As part of the deal, he would view the video game exhibition and tell me what he thought. Here is what he had to say.

What did you think of The Art of Video Games exhibition?
I liked the scope of the exhibit. Everything was larger in size. The things that I grew up with were blown up to 20-foot-size. With the games they selected,  they pretty much nailed everything but the next generation. But it would have been nice to see some of the (games that were) losers not just the winners. 

What did you like best about the exhibit?
They are finally trying to elevate video games from something that you play in your parent's basement to what they really are - an entertaining art form. 

Do you think video games should be considered as art?
Absolutely. I think they should be considered art not only for the talent involved, but because art should stir the imagination, act as an escape, create a controversy, or cause people to think and video games do all of that. 

How do you account for the increasing popularity of video games?
When games moved from the arcades to everyone's living room in the 80s, the industry entered into a slump. It was a case of quantity over quality. Then the games got much better and became more social. Now, with the iPhone, more people than ever are playing them. I mean my grandmother is playing Words with Friends. 

What would you say to someone who sees no art value in video games?
I would ask them - do you see value in film? Those same elements in film are in almost all the games now and the immersion factor in games makes them even more engaging than watching a film. 

What pre-visit advice would you give someone who is going to see the exhibit?
I would say if you are expecting the art behind video games, don't get your hopes up. But if you want  to experience video games in a new way you won't be disappointed.

Tales, Tidbits, and Tips
If you want to check out the video game exhibit, you still have time. It is scheduled to run until Sept. 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts