|Walt Whitman in DC|
Friday, August 22, 2014
Bloody Civil War Brings Walt Whitman to Washington
Welcome to this week's Friday Flashback. Each Friday in the Flashback we offer a post about some part of the past and its relationship to DC. Sometimes, we will write a new entry. Others times, we will showcase articles that previously appeared in The Prices Do DC or some other online publications. But no matter who does the writing, you can trust that you will learn something important from the Flashback.
- The Museum of the American Indian By the Numbers
- Was DC Really Built on a Swamp?
- The Return of the Annual National Book Festival
- Back to the 60s: Science and Technology
- Back to the 60s: History and Culture
- Back to the 60s - Mustang Sally Special
- Abstract Portraiture @The National Portrait Galler...
- Blazing Bright Washington Creates DC's Darkest Day...
- Winding It Up Again for the Godfather of Go-Go
- Bloody Civil War Brings Walt Whitman to Washington...
- Porous Border Could Let Islamic Terrorists Sneak I...
- Santana Scores, Rod Stewart Not So Much @Verizon C...
- Race Relations: How Far Have We Come In 50 Years?
- Phrarrell's Famous Hat Coming to Newseum
- Clearing Up Smithsonian Myths
- A Puppeteering Legacy Endures
- When Robin Williams Crashed the DC Improv
- Cool, American-Style
- The Painting Partnership of Degas and Cassatt
- Hope Diamond Was Once a Symbol for French Sun King...
- Sci-Fi Museum Still Heading Toward DC Blast-off
- 40 Years On, Carl Bernstein Talks Nixon, Watergate...
- ▼ August (22)
- ► 2013 (241)
- ► 2012 (254)
When Kwame Alexander started Virginia Tech University majoring in bio-tech, he was all set to become a doctor. But 2 developments in his s...
It began in the 1940s in the Spanish town of Brunol, where a band of young men engaged in a brawl grabbed tomatoes from a vegetable stand ...
This painting captures some of the the horror of WWI For Lowell Fry, the society-shattering and world-altering impacts of World War I a...
Welcome 2013. The beginning of a new year is always a great time for reflecting on the year that just concluded. So here we present some ...
Suppose it is a beautiful Spring (Summer, early Fall) day in D.C. For lunch, you want to dine al fresco (sidewalk seating, patio and r...
Claude Nadir - DC educator We often think we know people, but many times we don't know them as well as we think we do. Case in point...
With Nam June Paik's massive Electronic Highway: Continental United States and Alaska and Hawaii installment piece flashing and blink...
Fake fictional heroes ... .. are no match for the real thing. From left, Weber, Wynberg, Mayer. In 2009, film director Quentin Tara...
Beach Boy Brian Wilson on piano with guitar virtuoso Jeff Beck (in white with white guitar) In the history of rock, there have been so...
Conflicts are part of human life. Some are relatively common, affecting most of us. But what if a conflict is more specific to exactly who...