Beginning today, each Sunday The Prices Do DC will feature a post from the collection of Smithsonian blogs.
Elizabeth Mitchell’s The Sounding Joy, released by Smithsonian Folkways for this holiday season, features new recordings of traditional American carols rescued from obscurity by the late Ruth Crawford Seeger (Pete Seeger’s stepmother) in her 1953 songbook, American Folk Songs for Christmas. These simple devotionals evoke, as Ruth Seeger put it, the “old-time American Christmas. . .not of Santa Claus and tinseled trees but of homespun worship and festivities.
To continue reading, click here
- ► 2014 (247)
- Best of DC 2013: Dining and Entertainment
- Smithsonian Sunday: World's Largest Stamp Gallery ...
- Saturday Supplement: A Look Back at DC in 2013
- Friday Flashback: Newtown - What Do You Say?
- Hi-Speed Train Could Make DC to NYC in 1 Hour
- Wal-Mart: Is It Santa or Satan?
- Santa Bringing New Metro Cars to DC
- Take a Trip with DC Cab
- Smithsonian Sunday: Holiday Folk Songs
- Saturday Supplement: Spirit of Christmas Week in D...
- Friday Flashback: Zoolights Make for Bright Yule N...
- Art Provocateur Jake Chapman @The Hirshhorn
- Papering the World @The National Archives
- Holiday World's Fair 2013 @National Botanic Garden...
- Saturday Supplement: Anchorman @The Newseum
- Friday Flashback: Merry Tuba Christmas
- Prodigal Press @The Heritage Foundation
- Yes, No, Maybe @The National Gallery
- NPR Jazz Piano Christmas @The Kennedy Center
- Roseanne Cash @The Library of Congress
- Saturday Supplement: 15 Things About 5 Guys
- Friday Flashback: Doing Christmas Naturally
- ▼ December (22)
- ► 2012 (254)
When Kwame Alexander started Virginia Tech University majoring in bio-tech, he was all set to become a doctor. But 2 developments in his s...
It began in the 1940s in the Spanish town of Brunol, where a band of young men engaged in a brawl grabbed tomatoes from a vegetable stand ...
This painting captures some of the the horror of WWI For Lowell Fry, the society-shattering and world-altering impacts of World War I a...
Welcome 2013. The beginning of a new year is always a great time for reflecting on the year that just concluded. So here we present some ...
Suppose it is a beautiful Spring (Summer, early Fall) day in D.C. For lunch, you want to dine al fresco (sidewalk seating, patio and r...
Claude Nadir - DC educator We often think we know people, but many times we don't know them as well as we think we do. Case in point...
With Nam June Paik's massive Electronic Highway: Continental United States and Alaska and Hawaii installment piece flashing and blink...
Fake fictional heroes ... .. are no match for the real thing. From left, Weber, Wynberg, Mayer. In 2009, film director Quentin Tara...
Beach Boy Brian Wilson on piano with guitar virtuoso Jeff Beck (in white with white guitar) In the history of rock, there have been so...
Conflicts are part of human life. Some are relatively common, affecting most of us. But what if a conflict is more specific to exactly who...