Monday, September 8, 2014
It's Grant vs. Lee Redux @National Portrait Gallery
To showcase one of history's most memorable rivalries, the Smithsonian's National Portrait Gallery tasked its senior historian David C. Ward with the challenge of featuring the Civil War's two most storied generals in its "One Life" gallery.
The one-room salon is the site where the museum's scholars have previously exhibited the portraits, letters and personal artifacts of such cultural luminaries as Ronald Reagan, Katharine Hepburn, Abraham Lincoln and Sandra Day O'Connor.
- A Look at the Dark Side Over the Rainbow @National...
- Star Trek Model: Boldly Going Nowhere (For a While...
- Crystal City Seeks to Become Tech Center
- DC's Own Roberta Flack
- U Street: Like Harlem, a Home to Great Black Liter...
- DC Critic Takes a Look at the New Fall TV Season
- Celebrating Banned Books Week
- Taffety Punk Gives Some Sympathy to the Devil
- What Happens to a Smithsonian Temporary Exhibit Af...
- DC Holds a State Fair: Who Knew?
- Eleanor Roosevelt and the Bonus Marchers
- House Speaker Delivers His Plan and Orange You Gla...
- Our Constitution as a Hinge of Human History
- When an Intentional Walk Becomes an International ...
- Walking DC's Literary Past
- Happy 200th to the Star-Spangled Banner
- Hobby Lobby Leader Has Big Plans for Bible Museum
- Osama bin Laden: From 2 Who Talked To Him
- Never Forget: Looking Back at 9/11 @The Newseum
- 9/11 Commemorative Events in DC
- It's Grant vs. Lee Redux @National Portrait Galler...
- Gloves of Cassius Clay Displays Ali's Greatness
- Politics and Prose Turns 30
- Washington Monument Once Suffered from 'Geological...
- Civil Rights Hero John Lewis @National Book Fest
- Alan Greenspan @The National Book Fest
- Page to Stage @The Kennedy Center
- ▼ September (27)
- ► 2013 (241)
- ► 2012 (254)
When Kwame Alexander started Virginia Tech University majoring in bio-tech, he was all set to become a doctor. But 2 developments in his s...
It began in the 1940s in the Spanish town of Brunol, where a band of young men engaged in a brawl grabbed tomatoes from a vegetable stand ...
This painting captures some of the the horror of WWI For Lowell Fry, the society-shattering and world-altering impacts of World War I a...
Welcome 2013. The beginning of a new year is always a great time for reflecting on the year that just concluded. So here we present some ...
Suppose it is a beautiful Spring (Summer, early Fall) day in D.C. For lunch, you want to dine al fresco (sidewalk seating, patio and r...
Claude Nadir - DC educator We often think we know people, but many times we don't know them as well as we think we do. Case in point...
With Nam June Paik's massive Electronic Highway: Continental United States and Alaska and Hawaii installment piece flashing and blink...
Fake fictional heroes ... .. are no match for the real thing. From left, Weber, Wynberg, Mayer. In 2009, film director Quentin Tara...
Beach Boy Brian Wilson on piano with guitar virtuoso Jeff Beck (in white with white guitar) In the history of rock, there have been so...
Conflicts are part of human life. Some are relatively common, affecting most of us. But what if a conflict is more specific to exactly who...